The search engine optimization is all about making adjustments to your website to make it search engine friendly. When these changes are implemented, they could have a big impact on the user experience and your website rankings on Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
Tips for Improving your Website Rankings on Google
To improve your website ranking on search engines, it is important to understand that there are two main areas of SEO as given below:-
A. On-Page SEO
B. Off-Page SEO
Let us discuss some of the on-page and off-page SEO Factors as given below:-
A. On-Page SEO Factors
1. CREATE UNIQUE AND ACCURATE TITLE PAGES
– You should use Unique and Precise Text in Title Tags of your webpage.
– A title tag tells both users and search engines the topic that addresses a page.
-The tag <title> must be placed inside the tag <head> in the HTML document . Ideally, you should create a unique title for each page of the site.
THE CONTENT OF THE <TITLE> TAG IS SHOWN IN SEARCH RESULTS
Important points to consider when selecting TITLE TAG of your website
- It is recommended to have a length between 60 and 64 characters
- Your website Title should not be misleading and should accurately describe web page content
Avoid these issues when selecting TITLE of your webpage:-
- A title that has no relation to the content of the page.
- Using default or too generic titles like “Untitled” or “New Page.”
- Using the same TITLE for every single page on your website
- Extra Lengthy TITLES which are neither shown by browser nor shown in search engine results
- Do not add unnecessary keywords in the TITLE tag. Only focus on your main keyword.
2. Use Unique and Appealing Meta Description Tag
Meta Description tag provides a summary of your webpage. This should be unique for every single page on your website. Even if you do not have a meta description, it is not a big issue. However, if you are planning to add a meta description, then it will help to get more clicks from search engine results. Search engines display meta tag description right below your website listing.
3. USE THE META TAG DESCRIPTION
Meta Tag refers to the summarized section of your webpage which is displayed in search engine results. This tag holds a special importance in improving search engine rankings of your webpage.
What are the advantages of meta tag description?
- Meta Description tags are important because Google might use them as snippets description of your pages.
- On the other hand, Google may choose to use a relevant part of the visible text on your page if it matches the user’s query.
- Add description meta tags for each of your pages is always a good practice in case Google can not find a good text to be used as the fragment.
- The words that appear in the snippet are bolded if they match a user’s query.
Meta Description Tag Best Practices
– It is recommended to have a length between 150 and 160 characters.
– Meta Description tag should accurately summarize the content of the page
– Use meta description which is related to the webpage. Avoid adding unrelated content in meta description
– Use unique meta description for each page and avoid using duplicate meta description
How to decide Meta Description Tag for a website with millions of pages?
Having a unique meta tag for each page helps both users and Google especially in searches where users can obtain several pages of your domain (e.g., searches using the site: operator such as [site:amazon.com mobile phones].
If your site has thousands or even millions of pages, crafting description meta tags by hand will not be feasible. In this case, they can be automatically generated based on the content of each page.
If for some reason you are not able to add meta description tag, then search engines will pick content from your webpage and use it to display in the meta description. However, make sure not to use duplicate meta description tag for multiple pages.
4. IMPROVE THE WEBSITE URL STRUCTURE
Creating descriptive categories and filenames for the documents on your website can not only help keep your site better organized but could also help to improve rankings of your documents on popular search engines.
“If your webpage talks about “How you can improve SEO rankings” then you can use URL as how-to-improve-SEO-rankings.”
Your webpage URL should be short and precise, and you should avoid using extremely long and unrelated URL with a very few recognizable words.
Also, you can create URL to link simpler. Users who visit your site may be intimidated by extremely long and rare URL, with few recognizable words.
Best Practices for selecting webpage URL structure
- Keep Url which is easy to remember such as “Google-SEO-ranking-guide” if your webpage speaks about guidelines on how to improve search engine rankings on Google.
- Avoid using special characters in URL.
- Avoid passing unnecessary coding parameters in your webpage URL.
- Avoid using too lengthy or too short URLs such as:-
- Avoid Using Too Lengthy URLS
Too Short Example:
Your site /Seo
(Is this URL talking about SEO ranking services or provide tips on how to improve your website google search engine rankings ?)
If the URL contains relevant words, this provides users and search engines additional information on the page beyond what would a session ID or a parameter name.
Website Url Best Practices
- Use Important words in URL
- Avoid Generic Names such as ‘mypage123.html.’
- Avoid stuffing unnecessary words in your URL
- Keep your URL short and precise
- Most of the CMS create URL automatically. You can override this by creating your custom URL for each page or blog post.
2. Creates A Simple Directory Structure
Use a directory structure that organizes the content and provide users with info about their navigation location on the website.
Directory Structure Best Practices
- Avoid Nested subdirectories as “../dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/page.html.”
- Avoid using unrelated directory names.
- Avoid using capitalization in the URLS
- Your website Directory should provide accurate position of your webpage in website directory
- All your webpages should have proper link to the homepage, i.e., root of your website
5. OFFER QUALITY CONTENT ON YOUR WEBSITE
Posting interesting and useful content will likely improve your website rankings on search engines.
Blogging is an important part of your website. Publishing informative content on your website will build your reputation with both users and with Google.
Website Content Best Practices
– Avoid content with many misspellings and grammatical
– Avoid adding text in image format
– Focus on the subject and divide your content into logical paragraphs
– Your content should be related to the content you have added to the TITLE Tag of your webpage.
- Always publish unique and original content
- Avoid publishing same content on multiple pages of your website
- Create content for users and not search engines
- Do not annoy your visitors by over-stuffing your pages with your targeted keywords
- Avoid hidden text
5) USE HEADER TAGS APPROPRIATELY
Use header tags to emphasize important text Header tags (not to be confused with the HTML <head> or HTTP headers) which are used to present the structure of the page to users. These labels have six sizes, beginning with <h1>, the most important, and ending with <h6> , the least important.
On the news, we could put the name of our website <h1> tag and the topic of the news <h2>
Header Tag Best practices:-
- Place Header tags to outline your webpage content
- Use H1->H2->H3 in their order sequence and not in opposite direction, i.e., H3-H2->H1.
- Avoid unnecessary use of Header tags for keyword stuffing
6. MAKE SURE YOUR WEBSITE LOADS QUICKLY and PROPERLY ON MOBILE DEVICES
It is very important to ensure that your website displays correctly on all mobile devices whether iPad, iPhone or just any other mobile device.
If you are looking for best mobile website design services then click here
B. OFF-PAGE SEO
1. Promote your Website correctly.
Increases the number of inbound links with the intention of adding value to your website While most of the links to your site will come gradually as people discover your content through search or other sources and link to your page, Google understands that you want to publicize all the effort you’ve put into your content.
Promote your website on popular forums and related websites which will increase the reputation of your website.
Best Off-Page Seo Techniques
- There are various social media sites which allow you to share your content on Facebook, Twitter and many more.
- Become a member of forums/social networking sites where users discuss services related to your website. It does not matter whether backlink in nofollow or nofollow. You should only focus on building backlinks from websites which are related to your main website.
- Publish regular content on your blog and share this content on popular social media sites such as FB, Twitter and Google+