Looking for best things to do in Leon Mexico? Here are the activities you can not miss in this city where you will find incredible cultural treasures and leather goods at great prices!
Following are some of the Top 10 Fun Things to do in Leon, Mexico
1. Walk through the streets that make up the first picture of the city and stop to admire the magnificent façade of its Cathedral Basilica, magnificent construction erected in 1746 by order of the Jesuit friars. Today, this imposing building houses the miraculous image of the Virgen de la Luz, to which hundreds of faithful – from the region and beyond our borders – dedicate numerous festivities and pilgrimages throughout the year. You can not miss this beautiful temple consecrated in 1866!
2. Near the Cathedral, the Founders Square is located where, according to tradition, there was a graveyard that, at its closure, gave way to a small square that eventually became an emblematic point of the “capital of The skin and the footwear .” To the west of this one, you will find a plaque of tiles where the names of the first settlers of the city are noticed. Do not forget to take a photo with the beautiful fountain commemorating the fourth centenary of the foundation of León, decorated with its fearsome bronze lions that seem to support in a sober but ferocious way, the largest pool of the whole.
3. Acquire shoes and all kinds of leather goods in the main markets and squares of the city. We recommend you visit the Plaza del Zapato, the Shoe Gallery, Plaza Piel, among other shopping centers located to the east and in the Skin Area of the city.
Exploring Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico
4. Visit the Museum of Art and History of Guanajuato. Housed in the modern facilities of the Forum Cultural Guanajuato, this venue displays great collections of regional art and culture, as well as a fantastic series of small and large format sculptures, organized into three levels for a better appreciation of them. A tour of this spacious museum will allow you to discover an unexplored side of the ancient and modern art of the Guanajuato.
5. Savor an exquisite Guacamaya, a kind of cake stuffed with chicharrón and bathed in sauce (which is a real major for the most demanding palate). You can find it in virtually every corner of the city. On this plate, there are people who have even come to mention that “if you go to Leon and you do not buy shoes, or you do not eat a good macaw, it is as if you never went to Leon.”
6. View Zooleon , the city’s zoo, with more than 1,200 specimens of 180 different species and where the specialists have managed to encourage the reproduction of peacocks, Mexican wolves, royal eagles and other species in danger of extinction. Everything a triumph for Mexican biology and zootechnics. This fantastic space, ideal to visit in the company of the family, opens every day from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
7. For all those who love religious architecture, we recommend you to visit the Templo Expiatorio, located on Calle Madero, in the same area of the center. Its neogothic style design will remind you of the famous cathedrals of medieval Europe, with its enormous stained glass windows, where you can appreciate the Mysteries of Salvation, as well as the shields of the city of Leon and the state of Guanajuato. Surprise yourself with this magnificent building built in 1921.
8. If you like football, do not forget to attend one of the matches of the “green belly” of the Lion, the historical team of the metropolis. Its incredible stadium, the “Nou Camp,” world-wide stage in Mexico 1986, owes its name to the mythical building where the FC Barcelona of Spain plays.
9. In November, in the facilities of the Metropolitan Park, one of the most anticipated events of the year takes place: the Globe Festival. If you are a fan of this sport or just like to take pictures, this is the best scenario to achieve the most colorful plates … imagine more than 200 hot air balloons in action flying over the city of Leon at nightfall! You will become addicted to every edition of FIG.
10. Launch to the state capital ( Guanajuato is located approximately 30 minutes from the city of León) and enjoy there its historical and beautiful colonial buildings and nineteenth century. During the trip, do not miss the chance to visit one of the most famous emblems of the Bajio region: Cristo Rey del Cubilete, imposing sculpture of more than 20 meters with its sanctuary ideal to accommodate thousands of tourists during 365 days Of the year in a comfortable and safe way. Enjoy the incredible view offered by this great destination!